Driver & Pedestrian Safety Guidelines
At The Houstonian, drivers and pedestrians alike share the responsibility of keeping themselves and others safe while on the roads and garages on campus. It is imperative that Houstonian Club Members know and follow campus guidelines regarding driving and pedestrian safety while on our campus. Failure to do so may result in membership suspension or expulsion.
Speed Limits on Campus
- The Houstonian campus speed limits are posted and should be strictly followed. Roadway speeds of 10 mph and garage speeds of 5 mph may not be exceeded at any time.
Crosswalks & Flashing Crosswalks
- Always stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk.
- When approaching a crosswalk, reduce your speed and be prepared to stop.
- When you are stopped at a crosswalk, allow enough room between your vehicle and the crosswalk so other drivers can see the pedestrians you have stopped for.
- NEVER attempt to pass another vehicle while on campus.
- Do not attempt to pass vehicles stopped at a crosswalk. They have stopped to allow pedestrians to pass or make sure the way is clear.
- Remember, pedestrians always have the right-of-way
- Always come to a complete stop at all stop signs on campus, even if there is no oncoming or adjacent traffic.
- Look out for pedestrians at all times. When you are operating a vehicle, you have accepted a heightened responsibility for other people on the road. Safety is a two-way street. Often, pedestrians— especially younger ones— are not where they should be or where you would expect them to be. Remain vigilant at all times.
- Remember that we have an active campus for pedestrians – runners, walkers, seniors, children and they will be on the outdoor path, in the streets and sidewalks.
- Overall visibility is limited in bad weather conditions and dimly lit areas. Not only is it more difficult for drivers to see oncoming pedestrians, it also is harder for pedestrians to see you. Make sure your lights are on and you use your signals when driving on campus.
- Be mindful of pedestrians when pulling into and out of driveways – especially if you are backing up. Pedestrians can easily enter your path without your knowledge.
- As a driver, it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of our member and guests by adhering the safe driving on campus. Do not put your life or others in harm’s way.
- Please share this message with your teenage drivers that will be driving themselves on campus.
Houstonian Campus Grounds Warning
The grounds and outdoor areas at The Houstonian, including the paths, track and outdoor recreation areas (collectively, the "Grounds”), are subject to many differing and potentially dangerous conditions and risks, including without limitation, (i) insects, spiders, snakes (venomous and non-venomous) and other animals, (ii) uneven, slippery, wet or loose walking surfaces, (iii) sudden elevation changes, (iv) plant and tree debris, roots and other obstructions and (v) accidents with other users of the Grounds.
ASSUMPTION OF RISK
Please be advised that by using the Grounds, you expressly assume the risk of all dangers and conditions existing on the Grounds, whether identified above or not and including the risk of death or injury to persons and damage to or destruction of property.
RELEASE AND WAIVER
IN ADDITION, BY ENTERING THE GROUNDS, AND IN CONSIDERATION OF YOUR BEING PERMITTED TO USE THE GROUNDS, YOU FULLY AND UNCONDITIONALLY RELEASE AND EXPRESSLY WAIVE ALL CLAIMS, LOSSES, DAMAGES, COSTS, FEES, EXPENSES AND CAUSES OF ACTION THAT YOU HAVE, COULD HAVE OR MAY HAVE IN THE FUTURE AGAINST THE OWNERS OF THE HOUSTONIAN AND THEIR OWNERS, PARTNERS, AFFILIATES, EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS AND AGENTS RELATED TO ANY SUCH DANGERS AND CONDITIONS EXISTING ON THE GROUNDS.
Standards for the Use of Electronic Recording Devices
Taking photos or making audio or video recordings without permission in ANY context in which the person has a reasonable expectation of privacy is prohibited. Such physical areas include but are not limited to private offices, locker rooms, fitness center, pools, labs, studios, and conference rooms.
In a situation in which it is not acceptable to take a picture or recording, it is also not acceptable to publish it. Transmission on the Internet constitutes publication.
The use of electronic devices to transmit or record images or conversations without explicit permission and acknowledgement of all parties is prohibited.
These guidelines apply to all individuals on the premises of The Houstonian Hotel, Club and Spa and to any electronic recording device, including but not limited to cellular telephones, wearable devices, digital cameras, stand-alone video cameras, Internet accessible webcams, video recorders, audio recorders, and software designed to monitor computer use by a specific user.